Background to The Friends
The League of Friends was established in 1935. Since then the trustees have worked to promote and develop facilities. At times they have also had to fight to preserve the hospital!
Drawn from the local community, trustees consider it a privilege to support and influence the health care the hospital provides.
The hospital was built on land donated by Sir John Hanham in 1887. His successors, Sir Michael and Lady Jane Hanham (a late President of The Friends) and now Sir William have continued this support.
Over time the trustees have worked in partnership with the succession of health service bodies which have managed the hospital.
Residents and business leaders in East Dorset have demonstrated their support not only financially but by their actions. This has enabled the trustees to provide extra services and support for patients and staff.
The Friends funded a large part of building the new Rehabilitation Ward and X-Ray department.
In 2001 the Leslie Adams building, accommodating the Outpatient and Clinical Investigations services, was principally paid for by the charity with community donations.
From 2009-2011 the hospital saw the biggest project in decades when The Friends put up 95% of the cost of rebuilding the Operating Theatre and from 2013-14 they supported the upgrade of Hanham Ward.
The people of East Dorset have had the vision and commitment to support their local hospital which is small and has a personal and friendly feel to it. This gives patients a sense of ownership and belonging.
Entrance to Outpatients,
The Leslie Adams Building
Parking for treatment or visiting is easy and free. The hospital also enjoys close links with family doctors, which greatly helps patient care and follow-up.
For a list of recent contributions made by The Friends, see the 'Contributions' page.